Monday, December 24, 2012

A stick, a carrot & string.

I'm a big fan of Christmas songs (provided it's after Thanksgiving and before New Year's). My grandmother's favorite was Bing Crosby's White Christmas, so that one holds a special place in my heart. But this year, the album I've had on repeat is courtesy of Dave Barnes, though there are a few other standouts, like this one from Matt Wertz, and this one from Sara Bareilles, and this one, which I'd never heard of till I moved to London, but now I absolutely adore.

However, there's another song that I'm especially fond of. It's not the traditional Christmas song. In fact, it doesn't sound very Christmassy at all. But the lyrics are absolutely wonderful.

Have a listen (lyrics below):



---------------

The horse's hay beneath his head
Our Lord was born to a manger bed
That all whose wells run dry
Could drink of his supply.


To keep him warm, the sheep drew near,

So grateful for His coming here.

You come with news of grace;
Come to take my place.


The donkey whispered in his ear,
"Child, in 30-some-odd years,
You'll ride someone who looks like me
(Untriumphantly)."

The cardinals warbled a joyful song,

"He'll make right what man made wrong -
Bringing low the hills,
That the valleys might be filled."

Then "child", asked the birds
,
Well, aren't they lovely words we sing?"
The tiny baby laid there
without saying anything.

At a distance stood a mangy goat

With crooked teeth and a matted coat;
Weary eyes and worn
Whipped and twisted horns.

Thinking, "Maybe I'll make friends someday

with the cows and the hens and the rambouillet,
But for now, I'll keep away
I've got nothing smart to say."

There's a sign on the barn in the cabbage town:

"When the rain picks up and the sun goes down
Sinners, come inside;
With no money, come and buy.

No clever talk, nor a gift to bring
Requires our lowly, lovely king.
Come you empty handed, you don't need anything."

And the night was cool and clear as glass

With the sneaking snake in the garden grass,
Deep cried out to deep,

The disciples fast asleep.

And the snake perked up when he heard You ask,

"If you're willing that this cup might pass,
We could find our way back home
maybe start a family all our own."

"But does not the Father guide the Son?

Not my will, but Yours be done.
What else here to do?
What else me, but You?"

And the snake who'd held the world,

A stick, a carrot and a string
Was crushed beneath the foot
Of your not wanting anything.


---------------

I especially like the "come you, empty handed" bit, because that's what Christmas is all about, isn't it? Celebrating the fact that the world has received the ultimate gift. One that we don't have to work for. One that we couldn't earn, no matter how hard we tried. "For unto us a child is born; unto us, a son is given..." 
   
It's the Gospel, and it's beautiful.

Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment