Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Rainy day playlist.

I make playlists for all sorts of things. Driving songs, study songs, running songs, and the occasional I-just-need-to-lay-down-on-the-floor-and-think-this-out songs. So when I saw the forecast said rain for the next week, I started thinking about making a new rainy day playlist. 

Rainy days can go one of two ways for me. Sometimes they're peaceful. I'll stay in my sweats, put on some tea, curl up with a book, and listen to the rain. I like those days.

But other times, and this usually happens when there hasn't been sunshine in a while, rainy days can be gloomy. Or there might not be a single drop of rain falling outside, but life just feels grey. Those are the days I really need a good rainy day playlist. The right music can turn gloomy into peaceful; grey into reflective. And when I'm feeling peaceful and reflective, I usually wind up being grateful. And that's a good place to be.

Here's what you can expect to find on my list if I feel a little gloom coming on (in no particular order):

-----------


Love Will Be Enough For Us, by Dave Barnes

Dance With Me Baby, by Ben Rector

Either Way, by Wilco

Forget Me Not, by The Civil Wars

Stay Young, Go Dancing, by Death Cab For Cutie

I Won't Give Up, by Jason Mraz

Southern Girl, by Amos Lee

Lay Me on the Water, by Gavin DeGraw


Walking in Memphis, by Marc Cohn

England, covered by Mumford and Sons

Washed by the Water, by Needtobreathe

-----------

That's just a few, but I think it's a good start. Ray, John and Steve are also favorites, as are The Head and the Heart, A Fine Frenzy and Sleeping At Last. And I could go on...but I won't.

What about you? What's on your rainy day playlist? What songs would you recommend?

May all your rainy days be lovely and peaceful and full of music.
  

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes I just want a Kday playlist for every day of my life. :) L-O-V-E that Dave Barnes song. But then again, I don't know many songs of his I don't love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay I need to leave another comment. Just listened to Washed By the Water... and got chills multiple times in a row. That guy's VOICE. Oh. my.

    ReplyDelete