Thursday, September 13, 2012

Reading over shoulders.

I spend a lot of time on trains, so I figure I might as well get some reading done. The problem is, I don't currently have any books I haven't read. So I read other people's. 

Luckily, there's also a never ending supply of newspapers.

I like to see if I can figure out what book it is just by the first few sentences of wherever they happen to be in the story. I usually can't. But every so often, I figure it out before they turn the page.

After a while, I started keeping track. Here's some excerpts from what commuting Londoners are reading these days. See how many you recognize.

-----------------
He ought to have explained more fully about the Dementors, about how he had fallen over, about how both he and Dudley had nearly been kissed.

Maybe I'll do a shout-out to Willow.


Could she only bring herself to dispense with the lot of them?


More days than not, he's out there fighting someone.


"That's very broadminded of you."


Dozens of faces immediately buried themselves back in their work.


"Poor Liz," I say and I am suddenly overwhelmed with pity for her.


Si vous faites la moindre résistance, je vous tue avec les pistolets que voici.

"But you do not consider how it may appear to the Coles."


As soon as Petra finished talking I stood up and took her in my arms.


She'd had to force herself to stick to the rules of the grounding.


I was beginning to feel very tired and emotional.


Crying is not an option.


Royce and Hadrian glanced nervously at each other.


"Even them," Professor Martin said, sounding sleepy from all the wine.
-----------------

I only knew like 3 out of all those, but I was still pretty proud. How many did you get? 
(And Googling is cheating, people).
 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment