Saturday, June 23, 2012

Omigod You Guys.

A big congratulations to my favorite newly engaged couple, Shannon and Dakota! I've been waiting for this for a few months now, and by the time this week rolled around, Kim and I were practically counting down the hours.



I can't even begin to tell you how many engaged and/or recently married friends I have in my life right now. It's crazy. And I'm finding that it's the exact opposite of the culture here. When I mention a friend's recent engagement, I'm typically met with the question, "How old is she?" which is quickly followed by, "How long have they been together?" No one here can believe that I have so many friends married just out of college.

At home, it's super common. We joke at Baylor about "ring by spring," and MRS degrees all the time. And since pretty much the only time relationship statuses are announced to the world is when there's a ring involved, it can be easy to think that you're the only one who's not headed down the aisle any time soon. Which is so not true. It's just that you never see someone posting, "Guys, guess what! I'm single!" on Facebook. So my friends and I have started letting each other know, "Don't worry, I'm still not engaged," every few weeks just to remind one another that we're fine, normal, etc.

But here? It seems like no one even thinks about marriage till they're like 30. Which is totally fine and completely understandable and all that. It's just a bit different where I come from.

Anywho, another shout out and big hug to my sweet sweet friends. You two make an amazing couple, and I'm so excited for you!

3 comments:

  1. "daughter of Delta Nu, soon to be fiance... now that a man chose you, your life begins today!"

    agreed to the millionth on this bloggy blog.

    I tell girls ALL THE TIME now that being a single, working gal in your twenties is like this secret hidden treasure that NO ONE TALKS ABOUT.

    People, I'm here to say that I'm living the dream. Totally living the dream. I have a salary and no one to share it with so I go to Target and on vacation whenever I want. Dallas for the weekend? Why not???? Fancy expensive haircut? Bring IT ON! Support Forge students and mission trips... DUH. BECAUSE. I. CAN.

    me and the London singles crew? I think we would be buddies.

    oh, and your bro is doing the FORGE? hollaaaaaa. Come to T-town and visit, mmmmkkaaay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Preach sister. Though I think I'd agree even more if I too had a salary... Soon (fingers crossed).

      Delete
  2. Well that settles things. I'm totally moving there. Reasons: 1. BBC Sherlock. Let's talk about how I can view it probably 6 months earlier (and since I'm still going to be waiting at least a year for series 3, an extra 6-month-time-saving is pretty darn great). 2. Lots of single people. Excellent fun. 3. Pretty sure I'd love the weather. 4. Access to visiting other European countries more easily than from the US. 4. The word "chuffed". 5. I mean, there are probably way more I'm not even thinking of. So.. then it's settled. Done.

    ReplyDelete