Saturday, July 14, 2012

I haven't been sick, I've been ill. (And why that distinction matters.)

I've got a cold.

This is pretty unusual, as my immune system is typically pretty rockin. (Thanks for sending me to preschool and exposing me to germs at a young age, mom!) But alas, it's failed me this week.


"I'm sniffling and I’m not really awake…and I'm taking Echinacea and vitamin C, and sleeping practically twenty-four hours a day.
And I have a temperature. And I think I’m contagious..."

Which brings me to an important point: Here in the UK, there's a difference between "sick" and "ill."

Back home, they're pretty much interchangeable. Actually, I'd say we use the term "sick" more often than "ill." It doesn't matter if you had the flu, bronchitis, or a sinus infection. When someone asks why you missed work or practice or that birthday party, you respond with, "I was sick."

But you don't want to to do that here. Because here, to be sick means to throw up. So if you say you were sick yesterday, people will interpret that as something a little more dramatic than just a case of the sniffles. What you want to say is "ill." 

So don't worry, the past few days I haven't been sick. I've just been ill.

But I'm making the most of it. Since I don't exactly feel like going anywhere at the moment, I've gotten some writing done, watched a couple of feel good movies, and have busted out my crayons and gotten my craft on (one of the perks of working with kids).

Plus, I'm pretty sure I've perfected the art of shooting crumpled tissues from my bed to the bin.

Silver lining.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment