Monday, July 9, 2012

Oh deer.

First things first: apologies for the cheesy title. I just couldn't help myself. 

Remember when I told you about Richmond Park? I said I'd like to visit it again. Well, it took me almost five months, but I finally made it back. And even though one of my housemates pointed out that it could be a dangerous decision, I'm glad I did.


The largest of the Royal Parks, it also happens to be the biggest enclosed space in London. Its 2360 acres are home to a wide variety of flora and fauna, but it's most famous residents are probably the deer. Oh, and the reason it exists in the first place is because Charles I didn't want to get the plague.

Fun stuff.

Anyway, the last time I visited was in February. While I definitely enjoyed myself, it was still winter, so everything (well, except for the deer) was kind of dead. This time was different. Sure, the skies were still grey. But this time, everything was green! And there were flowers! It was lovely.




It's crazy how just stepping through the gates seems to take you straight out of the city. It's so quiet and peaceful, and with all the wildlife, you don't really feel like you're in London anymore.

(But you are.)

There's so much to see, and we only made it through about a fifth of the park. But since it's only a 5 minute bus ride from where I live, I plan to go back and do some more exploring soon.

Who knows? Maybe there will even be sunshine.

Third time's a charm.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment