Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!



We got to the London Eye about 8 hours early so we could get a good view of the fireworks. And it worked! There was only one person between me and the rail along the Thames, and we were directly across from the Eye. I can't even begin to describe how amazing it was. They flashed a countdown of the final minute up on a building right next to the Eye, and the whole crowd was going crazy. Then the fireworks started. With every chime from Big Ben, they lit up the sky. The show kicked off with the announcement of London getting the 2012 Olympics, and from then on, all the fireworks were perfectly synched with music. They went on for almost 12 minutes and took up the entire sky. I felt like a little kid the whole time, and by the end of it all, my face hurt from smiling.

Here's the BBC video of the whole show:


They were predicting a quarter of a million people there, and I'll bet they were right. Trafalgar Square was jam-packed afterward. But we navigated our way back home like champs. I was so proud. Plus, the transport was free after midnight. What a win.

So if last night is at all indicative of what 2012 will be like, I can't even wait.

“May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you're wonderful, and don't forget to make some art -- write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself.” -Neil Gaiman

Wishing you a blessed new year from London.

No comments:

Post a Comment