Monday, January 30, 2012

I love technology.

Today was my first day back at uni. My only class on Mondays is Computer-Mediated Communication. It's a level 6 class, which means it's technically for undergrads, but we can take it as a special study. The class is really small -- definitely less than 10 people -- but thankfully my friend Sarah is taking it as well.

I really enjoyed our first session. It looks like it's going to be a really interesting topic. And while it's relevant to pretty much everyone these days, it's particularly relevant to me and Sarah, as we're both international students who depend on digital communication to get in touch with our families.

About halfway through the class, one of the girls expressed her dislike for computer-mediated communication, saying that we weren't meant to communicate via screens and speakers, but face-to-face. And though she's right, I couldn't agree with her denunciation of all things digital.

Because face-to-face isn't a possibility for me right now.

Sarah and I checked our phones, and between the two of us, we had 11 different apps specifically designed for communication purposes. When you're thousands of miles from home, you've got to be resourceful if you want to maintain relationships.

(Photo cred to this blog.)


So far today, I've used the following to communicate with people back in the States: E-mail, Skype, Facebook, Textfree, HeyTell, and now this blog. And this is all via my laptop, the library computer and my phone. It's incredible.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that I am so, so thankful for technology.

Though I still really love good old fashioned letters. (Hint hint.)

No comments:

Post a Comment