Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Cookbooks.

I have a tendency to think cookbooks are kind of irrelevant. I mean, you can find basically every recipe you could ever want online. And you can store waaaay more in a computer file than a physical one. (Full disclosure: I totally have a recipes folder. It's probably the most-clicked item on my desktop. I'm cool like that.) So why buy a cookbook? It just doesn't seem practical.

It's important to note that I don't think this way about other things. I'd so much rather have a library full of physical books than a Kindle or whatever. But, for some reason, cookbooks don't count. Not for me, anyway.

At least not till now.

There are a handful of cooking blogs that I just adore. One of them is Joy the Baker's. This is mostly because her recipes are delicious and easy. But also because I feel like we could be friends in real life. Especially when she says things like, this:

"I know you eat popcorn for dinner. I know you bake brownies for boys. I know you're just looking for an excuse to make biscuits for every meal of the day."

And this:  

"I’m a little awkward when it comes to casual party conversation. I’m awful when it comes to remembering names. I’m not the kind of girl that sings karaoke or plays rock band… it’s really just better if I don’t partake in these sort of party activities.You know where to find me at a party… the kitchen. Obviously. Can I help you with that potato salad? Can I make you a cocktail? Can I whip up some chocolate chip cookies? Perhaps you’d like some sparkling water with cucumber."

She gets me. I mean, we're basically the same person. (Except for the names thing. I'm creepy-good at remembering names.) So when I saw she just put out a cookbook, I was intrigued. 

And with chapters like, "I need a hug or a brownie, maybe both," and, "I think I just ate chocolate for dinner," it's hard to resist.

Also, the cover is pretty.  (image c/o Joy's site)

So, what I'm trying to say is, I might be buying a cookbook pretty soon.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment