Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Wednesday randoms.

A smattering of observations/experiences:

There are a million different kinds of British accents, ranging from very subtle to barely understandable.

Tesco, though described to me as the UK equivalent of a Walmart, is no such thing. Regarding produce, it's probably better. But it's like 0-3 for what I've needed. So, sorry to say it, but Walmart wins this round.

It's official: I have an accent. My mom and I were asked about ours twice today.

The drive-thrus at restaurants are backward. It makes sense, since they drive on the other side, but it's a really strange sight to see.

We got 2 pints of strawberries, 2 pints of grapes, a giant loaf of crusty white bread and a cheesy bread twist thing for less than £3! So good.

Poor photo quality, great value!

Shopping in the UK will make you feel fat. My dress size almost doubled. It's gotta be their sizing system, because even though I ate a LOT of pastries in France, I wasn't that unrestrained.

There are sooooo many coins! Unlike the US, which really just has 4 coins (yes, there's a 50 cent piece and a dollar, but come on -- no one uses them), the UK has coins for £2, £1, 50p, 20p, 10p, 5p, 2p and 1p. Our envelope from the bank was tearing from the weight, so my mom had to buy a little coin purse.

Pretty much the whole country smokes. Okay, that's an exaggeration. I've yet to see any little kids smoking. But oh my goodness.

I got a phone today. It's a tiny little thing -- a throwback to my late junior high years -- very, very basic. It may be lacking Internet capabilities and an app store, but it's got a radio and an alarm! (Shout out to Alexis! Now we both have phones with sweet features.)

Ever wondered why I'm not a hand model? Well here's your answer.


Aaaaand all my clothes fit in my wardrobe! What a relief.

Happy Wednesday, guys! My day's just about over, but I hope yours is/was/continues to be absolutely lovely.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, now I can text you and our sweet phones will be friends! (=

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're looking for a Walmart equivalent, you're better off searching for an Asda - they're owned by Walmart. It looks like you're getting off to a good start - have fun !

    ReplyDelete