Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Wednesday randoms.

It's Wednesday, which means I get to forgo method and/or purpose for this post and just ramble for a bit.

The weather has been phenomenal. Around 70 degrees F (so that'd be like 21 C?) and sunny. I wore a dress today and pretended it was still summer.

There's a man who frequently plays guitar and sings outside of the Bentall Centre (a shopping area). I literally stopped in my tracks when he began his rendition of "Hallelujah," by Leonard Cohen. It was beautiful.

The shopping carts (trolleys) here have wheels that can spin all the way around. That means you can roll sideways just as easily as backward or forward. When people come flying around a corner, they typically lose control for about half a second and slide out sideways. It reminds me of the cars in The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift. Granted, I've never actually seen that movie, so I'm just going off what it looked like in the previews.

The folders are different here. Like the kind you put documents in. I'm not going to try to explain it, so just trust me on this.

Regardless of the country, it seems a girls' night in with a romantic comedy will always produce the same effects: Singing along to songs like "All By Myself," and lamenting the lack of your very own Prince Charming, often while eating ice cream or some other sweet treat. It's like [fake] self-loathing. But in a fun way. (Does that make any sense?)

At restaurants, drinks are really expensive. Even the water.

If you come visit me, don't throw up the deuce. A backward peace sign is essentially the same thing as flipping someone off. I'm trying to curb my gangsta tendencies quickly so I don't keep accidentally offending people. It's tough.

Coffee creamer (like Coffee-mate) doesn't exist here. Neither does Pandora. Or Netflix (at least my subscription). Boo.

Sorry to all you crazy American college partiers. While your first-year mistakes may have cost you dearly by the time graduation rolled around, the Brits don't share the same consequences. Here, the first year of university study doesn't count. Yes, you read that right. From what I understand, they leave it out of the average that makes up your overall score. Crazy.

There's a great little app called Textfree that allows me to message friends back in the States for free. Hit me up, and I'll send you my Textfree number so we can once again communicate like there's not an ocean [of international fees] between us.

That's all for now. Sorry for the lack of pictures lately. I'll try to do better this week.

Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment