Saturday, November 19, 2011

Going green.

I've come to realize that every recipe I've posted so far is highly caloric and full of sugary goodness. You're welcome. But, contrary to what you might think, I do occasionally make and eat things that aren't cake. 

So I've decided to share a different kind of recipe with you. This recipe is good for you. It includes green stuff. It does not include sugar or chocolate. Please do not be offended by this recipe.

It's broccoli. And it's really quite tasty.

I know what you're thinking -- broccoli and tasty are mutually exclusive, right? I used to think so too. When I was little, my dad would always make me eat a little broccoli and cauliflower every time we visited a buffet. 

I still hate cauliflower. But I love broccoli. Especially this kind.



Roasted Broccoli

Ingredients
1 head of broccoli, rinsed
1 garlic clove, minced (2 if you really like garlic)
salt and pepper, to taste
olive oil
breadcrumbs
grated Parmesan

Directions
Preheat the oven to about 400 degrees (about 200 C).

Cut broccoli florets (and stalk, if you want) into small pieces. 

Place in a small bowl and drizzle with olive oil. I don't actually measure the amount of the oil, I just eyeball it. Basically, you want the broccoli coated, but not drenched. 

Add the garlic, pepper and salt. Add breadcrumbs* (again, I don't really measure). Toss to coat.

Place on foil-lined pan and cook for 10-15 minutes, until the broccoli is beginning to brown.

Remove from oven and top with grated Parmesan.

Serve warm, and congratulate yourself for eating veggies like a real live grown up.

*If you want to get fancy, you can toast the breadcrumbs for a couple of minutes prior to adding them to the broccoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment