Thursday, November 17, 2011

My first C. (Except not really.)

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a schoolie. I like to learn, and I care about doing well. So when I got my mark back for the group presentation we did a few weeks ago (you know, the one where our lecturer had "nothing negative to say" when we asked for feedback), I freaked out a bit.

I got a 74.

Wait, what? A 74? No no. That's a low C. I don't get C's. Surely that can't be right...right?! Panic.

I half-jogged down the hall and demanded that Charlie immediately explain the UK grading system to me. Here's what I learned: Basically, the mark is out of a 100, like in the States. But apparently it's pretty rare for someone to get above an 80, especially in a subjective field like mine. So my 74 wasn't half bad. Here's the breakdown from my university web site:


Now, I don't really know what a distinction or a commendation actually is. But I do know it's not a failure. Not even the marginal kind.

So, yet another major difference that I never would have expected. But at least it turned out okay.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment