Sunday, March 4, 2012

Chocolate-Solves-Everything Muffins.

It's rainy and cold. My flatmate has been coughing for days. I don't want to work on my presentation.
There's a pile of dishes in the sink.

Now, I can't change the weather. I can't make Hannah feel better. I can't summon up enough enthusiasm to make me excited about this presentation. I suppose I could do the dishes. Still 1 of 4 isn't exactly winning.

But do you know what I can do? I can get myself into the kitchen and whip up something warm and comforting. Something tasty. Something chocolate. Because even though it won't make the sun shine or get rid of a cold or finish my presentation or do the dishes, chocolate still manages to make everything better.

Chocolate-Solves-Everything Muffins
(slightly adapted from King Arthur Flour)


Ingredients:
2/3 cup cocoa
1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
a couple of pinches of instant coffee (optional)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
2 eggs
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
splash of lemon juice
1/2 cup butter, melted

I'm not a "neat" baker. This is real life.

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).  Line muffin pan with paper cups. I typically spray the cups with some nonstick spray, so I don't lose any of the muffin when I peel it off. Because that'd just be tragic.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together cocoa, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, instant coffee, and salt. Set aside.

 
In another bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla and lemon juice. Add to the dry ingredients, along with the melted butter. Stir until combined. Batter will be lumpy and thick, but that's perfectly okay. These are muffins, not cupcakes, after all.

Shamelessly eat a handful of chocolate chips. You know, to check for quality. Repeat this step until you're satisfied that they are indeed tasty enough to be included in these muffins. Then measure out a cup, and fold them into the batter.


Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups. The cups should be pretty full -- heaping, even. Then bake for about 15-20 minutes, or till they pass the toothpick test.
 
Remove from the oven and cool before eating. But please don't let them get completely cool. These are best served warm.

1 comment:

  1. that's killer. however, while instant coffee is optional, i would argue that ground coffee or espresso are not. either way, i suddenly have a serious problem - a dark chocolate craving and no dark chocolate..

    ReplyDelete