Thursday, March 1, 2012

Baba Marta (Grandma March).

It's March! How crazy is that?? Crazy, I tell you.

To celebrate, my sweet friend Silviya brought everyone in our Intercultural Comm class a little something.



Cute little red and white bracelets to celebrate the beginning of spring! Silviya is from Bulgaria, and, apparently, it's traditional to don these on March 1. They symbolize health and happiness.

I did a little research (oh hey Wikipedia...), and this is what I found: 

Grandma March Day (or simply Baba Marta, Bulgarian: Баба Марта) is a holiday celebrated in Bulgaria, on the first of March. Martenitsa - usually in the form of a wrist band, woven by combining red and white colored threads - are worn on that day and through March, until a stork or a bloomed tree is seen, symbolizing warmer weather and well being.

So fun, right?

Now, I did see a tree in bloom right across the street when I got home from uni today. But Silviya didn't mention that part, and I don't want to take it off yet. So I'm just gonna leave it on.

On a completely unrelated note (and don't judge me for this), during my multiple attempts at taking a decent picture of my sweet new bracelet, it really struck me how weird hands are. Seriously. Look at your hands for a second. Aren't they weird?? I mean, they're also wonderful, and I'm so thankful for them. But still...

Anyway...

Happy March, friends! Hoping it brings you health and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment