Friday, March 2, 2012

Texas Independence Day.

I lived in Texas for four years. It changed me. For one thing, I started saying, "y'all."

Texas was its own country before it was part of the US. And Texas has never forgotten this. Actually, sometimes it seems that Texas still thinks it's its own country. So, today, when my Facebook newsfeed was overwhelmed with things like "Proud to be a Texan," and "God bless Texas," it got me thinking about my home away from home.

The Republic of Texas

Most people -- even outside the States -- have some general ideas about Texas. Cowboy hats, boots, horses, guns...and everything's bigger in Texas, right?

But Texas is hard to define. Because Texas isn't just a place, it's an mindset -- a worldview. And Texans? Well, let's just say they really love their state.

So in honor of Texas Independence Day, here are a few quotes that might help you understand a bit more about the largest of our Lower 48.

---------------------------

You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas. -Davy Crockett 

There is a growing feeling that perhaps Texas is really another country, a place where the skies, the disasters, the diamonds, the politicians, the women, the fortunes, the football players and the murders are all bigger than anywhere else. -Pete Hamill 

 Sectional football games have the glory and the despair of war, and when a Texas team takes the field against a foreign state, it is an army with banners. -John Steinbeck

Texas is neither southern nor western. Texas is Texas. -Senator William Blakley

Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word...A Texan outside of Texas is a foreigner. -John Steinbeck

If a man’s from Texas, he’ll tell you. If he’s not, why embarrass him by asking? -journalist John Gunther

Don't mess with Texas.

I'm not from Texas, but I got here as fast as I could.

---------------------------
Bluebonnets - The state flower.
There are a lot of things I miss about Texas. The explosion of wildflowers in the spring (especially those bluebonnets), Baylor, pick up trucks, sweet tea, big backyards, Pine Cove, long open roads, stars, biscuits and gravy, cliff jumping, porch swings, sunsets, yes sirs and yes ma'ams, barbeque, and BlueBell ice cream...just to name a few.

Mostly, I miss the people. I met my absolute best friends in Texas. And there's just a general friendliness about the state. Sure, there's plenty of arrogance and way too much camouflage, but for the most part, the people are lovely. I miss the polite hellos from passersby (people here tend to avoid eye contact altogether), hats tipped in greeting, and smiles all around. And I'm so glad that when I got a flat tire in the middle of nowhere, it was the middle of nowhere, Texas. Three different people pulled over to make sure I was okay and help me get back on the road again.

So even though I'm from New Mexico (where Texas isn't exactly a favorite), I don't own a pair of boots, and I'll never ever cheer for the Dallas Cowboys as long as I live, I can proudly say that I love the Lone Star State.


Happy Independence Day, Texas. You were good to me.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment