Thursday, May 10, 2012

Video interviews.

Everyone knows interviews are super uncomfortable. Even if you don't mind the actual process, there's something weird about having to talk yourself up to a complete stranger. 

But know what's even worse than interviews? Video interviews.

That's right. Thanks, technology, for introducing us to the wonderfully awkward experience that is the video interview. Not only is it weird Skyping with someone you've never met, but there's the added pressure of actually being able to see yourself. I seriously had no idea I was that fidgety. 

Plus, eye-contact is nearly impossible. One, because you're too busy checking yourself out. And two, because it feels so incredibly unnatural to talk to the little green light at the top of your laptop.

Oh, and did I mention that this is all probably going down in your bedroom? Factor in the aspect of something to lose (say, a job opportunity), and BAM. Ranks right up there with going to the dentist.

Immediately before my interview...Don't be fooled. I'm not as calm as I look.

But there is one good thing about video interviews, and it's this: you only have to look good from the waist up. I recently took full advantage of this. Notice the picture above. I look presentable, right? My hair's more tame than usual, I've got some make-up on, and I'm not in a sweatshirt. But wait...

Don't tell!
Ignore the state of my nightstand. That's not the point of this photo, people. But look! I'm wearing athletic shorts! During an interview! And not only that...

This is probably my fav piece of clothing.

I've got on my fluffy pink socks! 

Sure, it's not exactly professional, but it's definitely comfortable. And if there's anything I can do to make myself a little more comfortable with doing a video interview, I'm on it.

Good luck to all you recent and soon-to-be-graduates! (Including you, lil bro!) May you rock all your upcoming interviews -- both in person and otherwise.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment