Tuesday, May 1, 2012

YouTube comments and the future of humanity.

I don't know whether to laugh or to cry.

Over the past month (and I'm embarrassed to say this), I've logged countless hours on the YouTube page for Justin Bieber's "Baby." Hitting the mute button immediately does help a little, but it's really started taking its toll. Why would I do that to myself, you ask? Well I don't really have a choice. It's the topic of my research for my computer-mediated communication class.

I'm studying flaming. Now, you may have never heard that term, but if you've spent any time at all on the Internet, you've seen it. Flaming is basically hateful speech, and it's everywhere online. 


I picked the Justin Bieber video for two reasons: 1) It's the most-viewed video on YouTube.
2) It inspires overemotional responses. So it's a prime subject for flames.

Anywho, I've been looking through hundreds and hundreds of comments lately. This afternoon, when I pasted several hundred into a Word document to organize, this happened:



My spell check just gave up and died. I didn't even know that could happen. Those Bieber fans sure have a way with grammar. It's shocking what you find on that page. It's also really depressing.

Lev Grossman said this on the subject:

“Some of the comments on YouTube make you weep for the future of humanity just for the spelling alone, never mind the obscenity and the naked hatred.”

And that pretty much sums up my entire life these past few weeks.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment