Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Wednesday randoms.

I've learned quite a lot since I moved over here. And I'm not talking about academic stuff -- though I've learned plenty of that too...don't worry mom! Here's a little look at some of the things these past eight months (eight months?!) of living in London have taught me:

----------

How to make a good cup of tea. 

That my impression of a British accent is absolute rubbish.

To eat chips (french fries) with a fork.

To look right-left-right before crossing the street.

That, in the absence of syrup (because it's pretty impossible to find), butter and brown sugar makes an excellent pancake-topping. 

That I prefer American pancakes to British pancakes.

To queue.

How to set my spell check to UK English.

To always carry an umbrella.

To order at the bar instead of waiting to be served.

To avoid eye contact on the underground.

That 350 degrees F is 176 degrees C (a baking essential). 

That hugs (even Skype hugs!) can make your problems seem significantly smaller. 

To say sorry when someone runs into me...even if it's clearly not my fault.

That I should really buy butter in bulk.

To say "no thank you," when asked if you'd like black pudding with your full English breakfast.

That people have no idea where New Mexico is.

That people think Texas is like living in a western film.

To say "film" instead of "movie."

That I look like an American...whatever that means.
 
 ----------

It's been a wonderful, crazy, fun, occasionally-stressful-but-mostly-beautiful eight months. 
I'm excited to see what the next few hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment