Saturday, October 8, 2011

Productivity, vegetables and lads.

Remember how I told you about my [wonderful] presentation? Well today my group met up to work on our reflection report. It's not due till a week from Monday, but we pretty much finished everything this afternoon. Best group ever.

Afterward, we stopped at the market down in the town center. I got three bags of vegetables -- a huge bowl of mushrooms, 8 beautiful tomatoes on the vine, 5 cloves of garlic and 3 avocados -- for just £3.50. Unreal.

We made it down to the bus stop right as my bus was leaving. It was a nice afternoon, so rather than just stand there waiting for the next one, I decided to walk a little ways to another stop. Halfway to the stop I wanted, a van full of "fitties" (see How To Speak English for the definition...thanks Hannah and Sheila!) pulled up. One leaned out the window and waved. Then he blew me a kiss. I couldn't help but laugh (especially since I still get confused about which side the driver is on, and homeboy looked like he was driving with no hands). I kept walking, but traffic was thick, which meant the van stayed at my pace. They started chatting me up:

"Hello, darling!"
"You're lovely. Really."
"What's your name?"
"Where are you from, love?"

They were really persistent, so I answered that last question. "The States." That got a reaction. I never know what to do in situations like that, and normally I'd have been way awkward (always am). But their accents were just so lovely, and they had me laughing the whole time. Nonetheless, I passed on the ride they offered me and caught the bus home instead.

What I'm trying to say is, if I measured my days by productivity, vegetables and lads, today would have been one of the best ever.

And now the Baylor game is on, so I'd better be going.

Sic'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment