Friday, December 9, 2011

Please like gifts.

There are a lot of reasons to love this time of year: Christmas music, scarves, family, twinkle lights and all around cheer, just to name a few. But there's something else I really like, and that's gifts.

But it's giving gifts -- not getting them -- that I love. I like the whole process, from brainstorming to picking things out (or making them) to watching someone's eyes light up when they unwrap it. And actually, I don't even have to be there for the unwrapping. Sometimes its best done anonymously.

There's this personality test type thing called the 5 Love Languages that I find really interesting. It's geared toward helping spouses relate to one another by understanding how they express love, but it applies to all kinds of relationships, whether platonic or romantic. Basically, it breaks the whole thing down into these areas: quality time, acts of service, gifts, words of affirmation and physical touch. And just because you give love in one way doesn't mean you receive it in that way.

One of my favorite ways to give love is thoughtful gift-giving. The Love Languages description puts it so well: "...the perfect gift or gesture shows that you are known, you are cared for, and you are prized above whatever was sacrificed to bring the gift to you." I like to make people feel cared for and known. So I really like giving gifts.

But let me be clear: I don't mean to say that it's a bad thing to like getting gifts. Quite the opposite! I want you to like it! Because if you don't like receiving gifts, how will I ever be able to let you know you're loved? 

Please like gifts.

As for me? Well I like them enough. But my favorite gifts are the ones that make me laugh or are considerate and sentimental. I don't need expensive. I don't like flashy. Which is why I don't give those kinds of gifts. (Sorry friends who had their eyes on something pricey this year!)

But, really, I'd rather just give them. I'm more of a quality time person.

They say the best things in life are free. I suppose that about sums it up. But I think the best things in life also involve time and effort, thoughtfulness, and laughter. (And, more often than not, chocolate.)

(This was playing while I wrote this post. Thought it was lovely and appropriate.)

Happy Christmas shopping! I hope you enjoy it. And may you not be overwhelmed by expectations or price tags.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment